Thursday, February 17, 2011

I have Fuchs' Dystrophy. I should jump in the ocean and blink a lot

So I have this condition known as Fuchs' Dystrophy.

Which, you might think sounds kind of cool, like maybe Martin Sheen would have had it when he was playing the President on the West Wing. But it's not, it just means that the cells on the inside of my cornea start dying off making my cornea thicker and me even more blind than I otherwise would be. See, those cells typically help pump fluid out of the eye and as they die off, fluid starts to build up.

So in order to help reduce some of the fluid in the eye, my eye doctor told me to use this stuff called Muro 128 to help draw fluid out of the eye. Muro 128 is a "sodium chloride hypertonicity."

Now being something of a grammar asshole, I know a hypertonicity is basically a solution that has a higher concentration of something than it would normally have. And while I don't claim to be a professional meth manufacturer...I mean chemist, I'm pretty sure that sodium chloride is better known as salt. Yep, salt.

So if I read this correctly, and granted, I can't see for crap so maybe it actually says "unicorns and magic leprechauns", I'm being told that I need to put salt drops in my eye. Even better than that, the stuff I buy is actually an ointment, not drops. So I mix it with some water and it dissolves into drops. I could use the ointment, but to be quite honest it looks a little it like semen and though even if I don't consider myself a homophobe, I don't think I'm comfortable with the mental image of putting that in my eye. Drops I can handle, a medical money shot, I can't.

And instead I spend $28 on a tube of medical spooge that's basically salt water. Fucking SALT WATER. Seriously. I don't mean to complain, but knowing that I have to pay $28 for salt water, even knowing that it might help my vision doesn't make me feel any better about how the stuff looks. Nor does it help me reconcile the cost of it. I realize that it's very possible to spend a lot of money on a small bit of something; perfume, cosmetics, these kinds of things are expensive. But they also have some really complicated chemical formulas. This is fucking salt. I mean hell, I live on an island. I'm surround by ocean. Why couldn't I just get an instruction like "see that blue stuff out there? Go jump in it and blink a lot." It doesn't cost anything and it's still salt water. Right there. Cured. Then again, that's where fish poop so, I guess I'll stick to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home