Monday, September 10, 2007

When in Rome - repost

There's a cliche phrase "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and Romans speak Latin. I however, am not in fucking Rome, nor have I been to Rome and despite the fact that I have studied Latin (carpe piscis; seize the fish) I see no sense in having to use it for the study of law. Perhaps if I was studying law at the fucking Vatican I would want to make sure I could conjugate the subjunctive, but please somebody explain to me the rationale of using terms like "habeas corpus", literally, "you have the body", instead of "hey , I'm not supposed to be locked up. This is bullshit, take me to court so they can tell you to release me and go fuck yourself, 'cause I'm not supposed to be in here." Using Latin only on specific phrases only serves the purpose of offering Jeopardy! writers more material. When 99% of the writs, petitions, opinions, etc. are in English and you just toss in a few Latin phrases, it's not because you're smart, it's because you're a pretentious asshole. Pick a language and stick with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home