Monday, September 10, 2007

Crying Over Spilled Milk - repost

I dropped a bottle water this afternoon. The top popped off and water starting gushing all over the place. Naturally I start swearing up a storm, as I'm in public, some ass walks by and says "don't cry over spilled milk." First of all, I spilled water you fuck. I'm not crying over spilled milk. And I'm not crying. Bitch, moan, swear sure. Cry, not so much. Secondly, you have to wonder whether that sort of phrasing would translate very well. Like say I found an Indian guy, milk is sacred to Hindu people, so wouldn't it be perfectly natural to cry over spilled milk to a Hindu guy? I mean, you tell him "don't cry over spilled milk" and he's go fucking berserk. He'd be all "what are you fucking nuts! It's milk, of course I'm going to cry over it you fuck. Thank you, come again." Of course you could also go next door to Pakistan and talk to someone there and he'd say "no, no, milk, is fine to cry over. It's 'don't cry over spilled blood of the infidel' That's the phrase." So it's really just more an Americanism than a universal truth and people should stop saying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home