Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Quotes

I’ve got this weird pet peeve with quotes. I’m fine with people using quotes, but the person you’re quoting should be somehow noteworthy and ideally, well known enough that the reader doesn’t have to deep dive into Google to find out why they should be listened to. Quote me Jefferson or Franklin, Rousseau or Kant, I’ll take weird quotes from Shakespeare and occasionally an ancient Chinese proverb, but if you’ve got a quote, even one that’s well written and poignant, with some random person’s name attached, it carries less weight to me. I applaud you for not trying to plagiarize and pass the words off as your own but if I have no frame of reference for why this person you’re citing has any credibility, then it’s a waste and I refer you to my favorite quote: “Fuck you.” – George Carlin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home